Pre-Trip Inspection – ENGINE COMPARTMENT (ENGINE OFF)
- Look for puddles on the ground.
- Look for dripping fluids on the underside of the engine and transmission.
- Inspect hoses for condition and leaks.
- Indicate where the dipstick is located.
- Make sure the oil level is within safe operating range. The level must be above the refill mark.
- Inspect the reservoir sight glass, orIf the engine is not hot, remove the radiator cap and check for visible coolant level.
Power Steering Fluid
- Indicate where the power steering fluid dipstick is located.
- Check for adequate power steering fluid level. The level must be above the refill mark.
Engine Compartment Belts
Check the following belts for snugness (up to 3/4 inch play at center of belt), cracks, or frays:
- Power steering belt.
- Water pump belt.
- Alternator belt.
- Air compressor belt.
Note: If any of the components listed above are not belt driven, you must:
- Make sure the component(s) are operating properly, are not damaged or leaking, and are mounted securely.