CDL Pre Trip Inspection: Cab Check/Engine Start
- Depress the clutch.
- Place the gearshift lever in neutral (or park, for automatic transmissions).
- Start the engine, then release the clutch slowly.
Oil Pressure Gauge
- Make sure the oil pressure gauge is working.
- Check that the pressure gauge shows increasing or normal oil pressure, or that the warning light goes off.
- If equipped, the oil temperature gauge should begin a gradual rise to the normal operating range.
- Make sure the temperature gauge is working.
- The temperature should begin to climb to the normal operating range or the temperature light should be off.
- Check that the gauges show the alternator and/or generator is charging or that the warning light is off.
- Check for proper operation of, and acceptable readings on the air and/or vacuum gauge(s).
- The speedometer should be present, not obscured or obviously broken.
Mirrors and Windshield
- Mirrors should be clean and adjusted properly from the inside.
- Windshield should be clean with no illegal stickers, obstructions, or damage to the glass.
- Check for spare electrical fuses.
- Check for three red reflective triangles.
- Check for a properly charged and rated fire extinguisher.
- Non-power steering: Check for excessive play by turning the steering wheel back and forth. Play should not exceed 10 degrees (or about two inches on a 20-inch wheel).
- Power steering: With the engine running, check for excessive play by turning the steering wheel back and forth. Play should not exceed 10 degrees (or about two inches on a 20-inch wheel) before the front left wheel barely moves.
- Check that wiper arms and blades are secure, not damaged, and operate smoothly.
- If equipped, windshield washers must operate correctly.
Test that dash indicators work when the corresponding lights are turned on:
- Left turn signal.
- Right turn signal.
- 4-way emergency flashers.
- Check that air horn and/or electric horn work.
- Test that the heater and defroster works.
- Check that the safety belt is securely mounted, adjusts, and latches properly.