Additional CDL Pre Trip Inspection Information for Coach/Transit Bus
The following is a list of additional items that the driver must check during the CDL pre trip inspection coach/transit bus. If you need a passenger vehicle (P) endorsement on your commercial driver’s license (CDL), please check our passenger endorsement study guide with practice test and answers.
- Check that entry doors operate smoothly and close securely from the inside.
- Check that hand rails are secure and, if equipped, the step light(s) are working.
- Entry steps must be clear, with the treads not loose or worn excessively.
- If equipped with a lift for the disabled, look for any leaking, damaged or missing part.
- Lift should be fully retracted and latched securely.
- Make sure all emergency exits are not damaged, operate smoothly, and close securely from the inside.
- Check that any emergency exit warning devices are working.
- Look for broken seat frames and check that seat frames are firmly attached to the floor.
- Check that seat cushions are attached securely to the seat frames.
- Check that entry/exit doors are not damaged and operate smoothly from the outside. Hinges should be secure with seals intact.
- Make sure the passenger exit door mirrors and all external mirrors and mirror brackets are not damaged and are mounted securely with no loose fittings.
EXTERNAL INSPECTION OF COACH/TRANSIT BUS
- See that the vehicle is sitting level (front and rear), and if air-equipped, check for audible air leaks from the suspension system.
- See that fuel tank(s) are secure with no leaks from tank(s) or lines and the fuel cap is tight.
- Check that baggage and all other exterior compartment doors are not damaged, operate properly, and latch securely.
- Wherever located, see that battery(s) are secure, connections are tight, and cell caps are present.
- Battery connections should not show signs of excessive corrosion.
- Check that battery box and cover or door is not damaged and is secure.