Last updated on September 27, 2022
Before you can apply for a tanker endorsement, you must complete a CDL knowledge exam. There are several ways to take this test. First, you can take a practice test before you sit for the real test. This way, you can see where you need extra help. You can take as many practice tests as you like, allowing you to study for the test as necessary.
Secondly, you must have a commercial CDL or an equivalent license. The fee for a tanker endorsement is $20 on average, but may be higher or lower depending on your state. After passing the test, the endorsement will remain on your CDL for as long as you have the license. Some employers also require a hazmat test or tanker test before hiring their drivers. To prepare for the tanker endorsement exam, practice tests are your best bet.
Requirements for CDL Tank Vehicle Endorsement.
In order to obtain a CDL Tank Vehicle Endorsement, each applicant must have knowledge covering the following:
- Causes, prevention, and effects of cargo surge on motor vehicle handling;
- Proper braking procedures for the motor vehicle when it is empty, full and partially full;
- Differences in handling of baffled/compartmental tank interiors versus non baffled motor vehicles;
- Differences in tank vehicle type and construction;
- Differences in cargo surge for liquids of varying product densities;
- Effects of road grade and curvature on motor vehicle handling with filled, half filled and empty tanks;
- Proper use of emergency systems; and
- For drivers of DOT specification tank vehicles, retest and marking requirements.
For more complete details and information on obtaining a Tank Vehicle Endorsement please refer to 49 CFR 383.119
Source: 49 CFR 383